Watalappan RecipeMadusha Fonseka
- 110gm grated jaggery ( AMK – Jaggery paste available at Serandib)
- 200ml coconut milk ( Derana-Coconut milk and Maggi Coconut milk powder available at Serandib)
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg (Available at Serandib)
- 1cinnamon quill ( Derana – Cinnamon quills available at Serandib)
- 2cardamom pods, bruised ( Available at Serandib)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract ( Available at Serandib)
- 25gm unsalted roasted cashews, halved, plus extra roughly chopped, to serve
Preheat oven to 150°C. Place jaggery, coconut milk, spices and vanilla in a small saucepan over low heat and stir for 4 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool slightly.
Place eggs in a bowl and whisk until pale and creamy. Add coconut milk mixture and whisk to combine. Strain mixture through a fine sieve into a jug. Divide between 4 x 185 ml-capacity moulds and place in a large boiling pan. Fill roasting pan with enough boiling water to come halfway up sides of moulds.
Bake for 35 minutes, sprinkle over cashews and cook for a further 10 minutes or until just set but still wobbly. Remove from roasting pan. Set aside to cool slightly, then refrigerate for 2 hours or until chilled. Sprinkle with extra roasted cashews to serve.