This is a popular Sri Lankan variation of the famous regional rice dish made fast and easily. Can be eaten on its own or with curry as an accompaniment.
Check the extensive range of Curry Paste available at ” Serandib” to make your delicious Sri Lankan curries with ease.
- 60g Biryani Mixes (AMK & Derana brand recommended. Available at Serandib) (approx 4 tablespoons full)
- 1kg Basmati or Suduru Samba rice (Available at Serandib)
- 750g of chicken pieces
- 100g curd or plain yoghurt
- 1 chicken cube or chicken stock
- 50g butter or margarine
- 15g curry leaves (optional)
First, soak the rice in water for 15 minutes
Drain the water Add chicken stock or dissolved chicken cube in 3 cups of water and start boiling.
Then when the rice is half boiled add the curd or yoghurt and biriyani mix and stir into the rice and bring to boil
In a separate pan add the margarine or butter the chopped onions the curry leaves together with the chicken and fry at a low temperature till the chicken is cooked through and lightly browned.
Once this is done mix the chicken and rice together and add salt to taste and mix well.